Sunday, May 18, 2014

Recipe Raves

"You are becoming quite the cook!" I would have never thought I'd hear my husband speak those words. Ever since I've joined Annie's Buying Club I have had to meal plan. With certain things I tend to be a procrastinator (i.e. laundry, dishes, cooking), but knowing I have fresh produce in the fridge that must be addressed has helped me become a better "chef". Every other Sunday I plan breakfast and dinner for the next two weeks, with the lunch being left overs from dinner. I make a menu from a template I created (it was super simple- a two column table with 7 rows to plan out each week in a word document) and then print out the recipes I decided on. My ultimate goal is to put the recipes in plastic sleeves so I can store them in a recipe binder that I jazz up with a pretty cover. I love binders- one of my quirks.

With a few successful recipes under my belt I thought I'd share my favorite recipes that I've made each week. Everything I have chosen is simple to make because most nights I'm trying to cook with the Baby Monster crawling around the house and wanting constant attention. A common question that is asked on one of my mom forums is, "What is something that I can make this healthy and easy?" Well here are some recipes to help answer that question.

This week's share of food provided me with a lot of kale and collard greens. I've never tried kale and I haven't been too fond of collard greens so I had to find recipes to make them some of the most delicious foods on the planet because I knew I was going to be eating them forever (okay only two weeks).

On Monday I made collard green enchiladas. I'm proud of how these babies came out. Look at how yummy and tidy they look with their enchilada sauce and cheese topping.
This dish lasted us about 4 or 5 days. I can't remember because I know the hubs sneaked in two enchiladas at once so I can safely say he enjoyed them. The recipe can make 9-12 enchiladas. I made 10. This meal was also served with some pork. You can get the recipe here.

This next recipe was my favorite from this past week. It's a Summer Garden Crustless Quiche. I wanted a delicious recipe that called for kale and this was it.

 This recipe called for carrots and zucchini, but I didn't have carrots and I reserved the zucchini for another favorite recipe. To make up for it I added some peppers and onions instead along with a two strips of chopped turkey bacon. I couldn't wait for breakfast because I knew this savory creation was waiting for me. The hubs also ate more than his fair share...again. It's his way of complimenting my cooking I suppose. Try this quiche out by checking the recipe here.

We eat a lot of broccoli in my house. I like it steamed with a little bit of salt and pepper or with a cheese sauce. I never would have thought to roast it. Why did I wait so long to roast broccoli? It is AMAZING. This was the side dish that made my husband say, "Wow, you're becoming quite the cook." The broccoli gets a little bit of a crunch to it, it seems extra light and air, and the best part is that it brings out just a tiny bit of sweetness that I would not have expected to come from broccoli. I didn't take a picture of it because it was gobbled up right away. Take a look for yourself and definitely try out oven roasted broccoli by clicking here.

Now go out, get the ingredients and enjoy the deliciousness! I'm going to be busy cooking another quiche for breakfast this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment