Monday, May 12, 2014

Mother's Day Review

   My first Mother's Day is in the books. I think I can safely say that it was more of a Mother's Day Weekend and it was a sweet weekend at that. My Baby Monster experienced quite a few firsts. He said "mama" for the first time. Since he started making adorable cooing noises I have waited for mama. What has me mostly excited is to hear what his voice will sound like. He's such a happy sweet baby boy that I can only imagine his voice will be just as happy and sweet sounding. Hearing him call out mama when he's upset, happy, or playing has made my heart sing. Saturday is when I really heard him use mama for a purpose. The moment it came out of his mouth I swooped down and picked him up to snuggle. He said it one more time and I looked at the hubs for confirmation. My face turned just an inch away from him when Baby Monster said, "Mama!", grabbed my face with both hands and  planted a big mushy, wet baby kiss on my cheek. Best. Moment. Ever.
   The Baby Monster must be an over achiever because saying mama was not enough. He's been wanting to stand since he was born. He practically leaped out of my arms on day two. Lately he's been standing well but has been hesitant to let go of my hands, my hubs hands or the whatever he's using as support. On Saturday he was holding on to my pinky for dear life when he gaves me a mischievous little grin. Can you guess what happens next? The little guy let go of my pinky and stood for about ten seconds on his own until he plopped down on his bottom because I was hollering and squealing like a crazy lady. As a working mom who is away from my son five days a week for about seven hours a day I know that I will miss many firsts; so to have been home when he first tried to stand on his own was such a gift.
   All of this was just Saturday. Mother's Day actually arrived and it left me alone with the Baby Monster.  The hubs had to work (thankfully it was an early morning shift).For just a moment I threw a pity party. I really wanted my hubs home with me to celebrate my first Mother's Day. Then I stopped feeling sorry for myself because it dawned on me that I was given a wonderful gift. I had my son all to myself and we were going to have a great day! I just needed to make sure I had sleep first.
    The Baby Monster needs to learn that on holidays people enjoy sleeping in. He hasn't gotten that memo yet and has woken up early on every single special occasion. I was gifted with a 4 a.m. wake-up call. Happy Mother's Day, mom! I was okay with it because he gave me many opportunities for a nap.
   We then spent the day with my amazing, strong and stubborn mother. I love that woman with all of my heart. The day she leaves this earth will be one of great sadness for she is a force of nature. Everyday I get to talk to her is a gift, and even more so because she has had to fight to live everyday for the past 6 years with every medical extreme you could throw at her. The hubs came over to visit when he got off of work and after a long visit we went home...and then back again for Mother's Day cheesecake. Yum!
   My Mother's Day didn't leave me showered with physical gifts, but I could feel every blessing that makes being a mother one of the best jobs I have ever had. I'm looking forward to many more.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment