Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veterans' Day

My day 11 of my Thirty Days of Thanks is dedicated to all of the service men and women who selflessly gave their time and their lives to protecting the country that I love. Throughout my life I had many veterans to look up to. Both of my grandfathers served in WWII as did my great uncle. My father was part of the National Guard. The Vietnam War ended right before it was his turn to deploy. I am forever grateful for what these brave men and women do. They are proud, courageous and patriotic- they are everything this country stands for.

I was teaching my students about the importance of Veterans' Day on Monday. It was important to me that they understood why we did not have school today. They were astonished when I told them that the members of our Armed Forces had to report to work today while we were at home with our families. Then they cried out in disbelief when they realized that those same men and women wouldn't be home for Christmas. Right then and there they began to understand the importance of this day. We are going to continue learning about veterans this week. Tomorrow we are making thank you cards to send out. It's my hope that this week's lessons stays with them throughout their lives.

Thank you to those who have served, those who are serving and those who will serve in the future. Without you everything we love and hold dear in this country wouldn't exist. You are heroes and never forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment