Sunday, November 2, 2014

Why Do I Do This?

Seriously? I haven't written a post since July? You think to yourself, "I have time to do it later." Later never happens though. I obviously lost a lot of "laters" because it's been nearly 3 months since I  have taken the time to sit down and write. Life gets too busy and I wait for down time, but when will I learn that down time doesn't exist? Nope, time flies by.

In the past three months a lot has happened. The Baby Monster turned one! I still can't believe it. He's such a vibrant little character. It may not be correct to call him The Baby Monster, he's a toddler  now. Where did my baby go? The Baby Toddler doesn't sound right. Baby Monster is here to stay! Parents are right when they say you will always be their baby. The Baby Monster could be 40 years old and he'd still be my baby.

You can't tell by this picture, but he did have a wonderful first birthday party. We did a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme since he LOVES Mickey. All of our friends and family came to celebrate our sweetheart's first year of life. It was all smiles and fun until the cake came out. The Baby Monster HATES cake. The icing freaked him out. He looked at the cake with huge wide eyes because it was pretty amazing, but the moment the icing touched his fingers it was all over. Maybe next year I should try a giant cookie?

Other things that have happened...I started my first year as a kindergarten teacher. It's been a fun ride so far! Kindergarten is where I belong. It's a joy to see my kiddos' smiling faces each day. They crack me up at least once a day and definitely make me see the world from a different perspective. It's crazy to think that I started my journey into the field of education thinking I was going to teach secondary education. I thank my lucky stars that I decided to teach elementary education.

In three months time I have watched my little boy grow and have taught my heart out. Coming home from a day of teaching to an active toddler is much more exhausting than teaching a full day of third grade and coming home to a newborn. The Baby Monster is keeping me on my feet. Oh, and making me go blind. He broke my glasses today!

So, I'm back in the saddle and plan to take time for myself to write. Maybe this month I'll focus on what I am thankful for. This time of year can get crazy for me, especially when I set my expectations too high for a perfect holiday season. I need to focus on what is most important- family, friends and the blessing of seeing a new day.  I need the reminder because I let the things that matter to me just slip away sometimes. Time does not stop, so I need to keep up, take it when I want to and appreciate the small things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment